Carbon monoxide alarms have become compulsory in homes in an effort to prevent deaths from the poisonous gas known as the silent killer.
CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING
You can be in danger of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at home if dangerous amounts of Carbon Monoxide accumulate in the home. This can happen as a result of any or a combination of the following:
- Faulty or damaged heating appliances
- Heating appliance not maintained or serviced
- Rooms not properly ventilated
- Blocked chimneys or flues
- Indoor use of a barbecue grill or outdoor heater
- Poor installation of heating appliances
- Improper operation of heating appliances
- Property alterations or home improvements, which reduce ventilation
- Running engines such as vehicles or lawnmowers in garages
- Using cooking appliances for heating purposes.
Symptoms of CO Poisoning
Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be similar to those caused by other illnesses such as a cold or flu. They include:
- Unexplained headaches, chest pains or muscular weakness
- Sickness, diarrhoea or stomach pains
- Sudden dizziness when standing up
- General lethargy
What to Do?
If anyone in your house has any of the symptoms outlined above get fresh air immediately, then go to your doctor and ask them to check for Carbon Monoxide poisoning.
Stop using the appliance immediately and do not use it again until it has been checked by a registered installer or a qualified service agent.
The amount of CO which the blood absorbs depends on how much CO is in the air and the duration of the exposure. Adverse effects of CO on humans are reduced by periods of breathing fresh air. The degree of recovery depends on the number and length of those periods. The general state of health and degree of physical activity of a person exposed to CO are other factors involved in the effects of Carbon Monoxide on the body.
Fit a carbon monoxide alarm
Action Chimneys stocks a carbon monoxide alarm that is designed and manufactured in the Republic of Ireland by EIELECTRICS. The device operates on a sealed lithium battery and is both easy to use and install.
A factsheet for the device can be viewed from this link.
This Carbon monoxide alarm can be purchased from our online store.