Potentially dangerous gas installation
We were recently called in to inspect and repair a chimney that was causing problems. The owner had a chimney fire some time past and had called in a company to inspect the damage. The company carried out an inspection and reported to the owner that all was well but advised him to install a gas fire as opposed to an open fire so as to avoid the possibility of another chimney fire. The company in question installed a gas fires in the house and moved on leaving behind a most dangerous situation.
REMIDEAL ACTION UNDERTAKEN
Our inspect showed that there had been a serious fire and the chimney flues were cracked and required replacement. We set up a dust tent in the main living area and removed a section of the chimney breast. We quickly discovered that the original flues were running just inside the plaster rendering and were not encased in any block work. The wall was constructed of mass concrete with flues set in place. We excavated the wall and installed a fire opening with a new flue gather
At rooftop level we removed the existing capping and removed the chimney stack back down to solid material before rebuilding.
INTERIOR WORK UNDERTAKEN
In addition to the chimney repair we also found the gas fire installation to be highly dangerous. The fire itself was propped up on some bricks and the isolation valve was concealed behind a partition.
We removed the gas unit that was installed and fitted a new unit to Irish gas regulations IS-318 standard. We fitted an access door and left the living room ready for decorating.